Sunday, February 06, 2011

National Anthem

Poor Christina Aguilera. For the next few days she is going to be ragged  far and wide for forgetting the words to the National Anthem. 


I can understand how this can happen. I have sung the National Anthem for everything from Little League to the AA Mississippi Braves. When all those eyes are on YOU, it is possible to get a bit nervous. 


I can deal with forgetting the words. However, for someone with Christina's talent, this performance was awful. I lost track of how many times she changed keys. And the only person who has really been able to get away with that degree of showboating is Whitney Houston. 


Of course, I am old fashioned. I don't think the "Star Spangled Banner" should be a platform for showboating and grandstanding. I think it should be sung in a manner befitting the flag and our country. Some of the most wonderful compliments I have ever received have been from veterans who come up to me I sing our National Anthem at some occasion with tears in their eyes. They always say "this is the way our National Anthem should be sung. 


Christina, next time you are asked to sing the National Anthem, remember who and what you are singing for. 


Then I bet you remember the words. 

1 comment:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Interesting take. Most I've read say they forgive her style, but not for forgetting lyrics.

I thought she looked ragged out, tired and was unprepared.

I've taken a lot of crap for liking the BEPs - I think that has to do with sound engineering and if you like their style. Beat the heck out of The Who from last year.

Most musicians don't like BEPs because of their unconventional use of the studio. They've kept me on track walking MANY DAYS. I like their music.

It was all entertaining at least.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...