Monday, July 15, 2013

Anxiety

I can't believe I am awake at 12:35 AM fretting about a doctor appointment that does not occur until August 1. 

My long term neuromuscular doc left University Medical Center. We had a great relationship and I did not mind going to see her. But, my new doc is taking getting used to. His nurse has yelled at me and made me cry. 

Seriously. 

My new doc wanted me to lose weight before I came back. I was doing well till Bill was diagnosed with cancer. Food choices for me at the hospital were extremely limited. Yes, they had low fat yogurt...with strawberries. Anaphylaxis anyone? I have since gotten back on track, but I don't know if I can lose enough in the next 2 1/2 weeks to show the kind of progress he is expecting. 

Another concern is that I think he is going to take me off the steroids that have given me a greatly improved quality of life for the past 12 years. I know there are downsides to these, but I will take quality of life over quantity any day. He wants to put me on a stimulant that I have tried before. I did not like the way I felt on this drug. It made my reflux worse, caused sleeplessness ( like I need more of that!) and just made me jittery. 

Neuromuscular doctors are in short supply. The one I see is the only one I know of in Central Mississippi. I hate feeling like I have no choice. 

I know I have to get a handle on this. Explore and see if do have any options. If not, I have to find some effective way to deal with this situation. 

Wish me luck. 

1 comment:

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

I feel your pain, Karen. If you don't like your doctor and he wants you to go places you are not comfortable going, then I would exhaust every possible avenue to find a new doctor. If what your old doctor was doing was working for you and you were stable on her treatment plan and medications then perhaps you could take copies of those medical records and go to a general practice doctor you like and trust and perhaps they can continue the old doctor's treatment approach while they help you locate an alternate doctor in your required area of specialty. Keeping you in my special thoughts and prayers. Hoping and praying that your husband is doing okay given his circumstances as well. Hang in there, my friend. God Bless!!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...