Saturday, March 14, 2015

Seven Weeks

Tomorrow marks seven weeks since I have been able to sing. It feels like forever. 

I  added two days of complete vocal rest to the doctor's order. I am being conservative with my speaking voice. No talking on the phone or straining. 

I think I see a bit of improvement in my speaking voice, but progress is excruciatingly slow. I am not sure if it is real or just wishful thinking.

I know that losing my voice, perhaps permanently, is not much compared to what many people are going through. I get that. I really do. On the surface, I am trying to be positive, support my friends who are struggling, and put on a happy face. But, when I am alone, I cry. I question. I despair. There is music I can't bear to listen to. Movies I can't bear to watch. Even worship brings the pain of not being able to sing the hymns that I love so dearly. 

I see my throat doctor on Tuesday. He will take a light and illuminate my vocal cords. 

I will find out if any healing has occurred. 

Please, God, let there be healing.



1 comment:

KRJblue said...

Karen-

When they first diagnosed me with fibro and everything else, I tried to hold singing and life together. Finally one day I just said "I give up: take it all: the voice, the talent, anything to make me feel better". I couldn't listen to any of my old recordings, any classical, opera...I still have a hard time hearing it without breaking into tears. So I really understand how hard it is on you. Singing was my life, and it was gone.

But now I feel better some days. That's good enough. I paid my price, lost my voice, and I can live with that.

However, I don't think your price will be so heavy; you'll be back to singing in no time! Just a little more time and patience, you can do it. Sending you lots of love-

Kevin

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...