Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Cancer

 

On June 29th, 2022, I was diagnosed with an aggressive colon cancer that is also in the liver and 7 of the 11 biopsied lymph nodes. I will admit, my heart stopped at the news. My routine 2019 colonoscopy was fine! I was good for another 5 years...or so I thought.

Cancer can, rarely, occur in the interval between colonoscopies. I apparently was one of the "lucky" ones.

Now I am facing chemo every two weeks for the next 6 months. I have had round one, and while not pleasant, it was tolerable. Eleven more to go.

One of the things I hate most is not being able to really plan for the future. I have heard that every round of chemo is more and more debilitating. I'm not sure how long I will be able to continue leading the music at my church. I will be nearing the end of my chemo right as Advent begins. Will I have anything left to give by then?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this. I joke that cancer was not on my 2022 Bingo card. But, I guess it is never on anyone's Bingo card. All I can do is take it one day at time with as much grace as I can muster.



No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...