Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Miss Edith

Today I sang for the funeral of yet another of my "little old lady" friends. "Miss Edith" was a long time family friend. She had twinkling eyes and a lot of spunk. You always knew where you stood with Miss Edith. Even after she was largely silenced by a stroke, she could still give one of her famous LOOKS.

Back when my mama was alive, Miss Edith would call her on the phone, sometimes daily. Mama loved to talk and the phone was her lifeline on days when she was too sick, weak, or in too much pain to leave the house. However, sometimes Miss Edith would get to going and Mama just could not get off the phone with her. Miss Edith was not much for subtle hints.

So Mama and I developed a system. If I came in and she was on the phone with Miss Edith, Mama would mouth "Rescue me!" That was my signal to ring the doorbell and get Mama's little Pomeranian dog to start barking. Mama could honestly say there was someone at the door and this would get her off the hook with Miss Edith.

I am sure Mama was up there to welcome Miss Edith to Heaven.

The thought makes me smile.

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Love this!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...