Monday, January 05, 2009

Decisions


Do I or don't I? This year I am having a heck of a time deciding whether or not to continue maintaining my Mississippi counseling license and National board certification. To do this requires not only licensure fees, but a minimum amount of malpractice insurance and several hours of continuing education every year. Now that I am not working, it is getting harder and harder to come up with the money it takes to maintain my eligibility to counsel.

I worked very hard to get that license. For three years I drove a 160 mile almost daily round trip from Vicksburg to Monroe, Louisiana to get my counseling degree. My husband did not approve of what I was doing, so I got no support at home during this time. I was also helping care for my eighty-something year old grandmother at the time. Getting my degree was one of the hardest, but most rewarding things I have ever done.

I guess holding on to my licensure is holding on to the hope that a cure might be found for Myasthenia Gravis and that I might be able to go back to work someday.

And I don't know if I am quite ready to give that up.


7 comments:

Eleanor said...

(((Karen)))

Melissa said...

(((Karen)))

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Oh Sweet (((Karen))) that is a hard one. If it were me, I would keep it up. I think that dropping it would be too hard emotionally. Besides, you never really know -- not only could a cure happen, but technology advances could also work to your advantage. Let me know what you decide. I'll be thinking about you.

Melissa Foster Denney said...

P.S. GREAT PHOTOGRAPH~

Christi Fondren said...

Hi, Karen! There is a cure for MG in development. You can read about it at www.curavac.com. The next step is human trials, to begin possibly next summer. Please keep your counseling license. I know a lot of MG patients you could counsel right now! :) I wish the best for you!

Anonymous said...

i moved to a higher altitude, colorado is good. my health is so very good now. around seven thousand feet up is the best. it really does help, i am going back to work.
do not give up hope, just move!

Karen :) said...

Christi, for years I have been hearing about that, but it looks like it might actually become a reality! I saw where you "know" Wendy! I used to be on message boards with her. :)

I have decided to keep up my license. I just can't part with it yet!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...