Tuesday, February 02, 2010

These Hands


I finally got some answers (about time!) on my hands today.

The pain in my ring and pinky fingers is caused by spinal stenosis. That is where areas of the spine are narrowed, putting pressure on the nearby nerves. This will probably require steroid injections and or some physical therapy. It will be an ongoing thing that will probably require on and off treatment for the rest of my life.

The pain in my thumb and pointer is partially caused by some mild carpal tunnel. This can be helped with braces. Again, something I may just have to manage indefinitely.

The mystery now is the joint inflammation. All tests for arthritis came back negative. This is good. But this also leaves me with no diagnosis. I am trying things at home without much success.

Basically, the name of the game is: adapt. Make sure I pick up things (especially HOT things!) with BOTH hands. Work on getting a new personal font that will work with my Mac, as writing is difficult. I am trying new paintbrushes and styles of painting that require less finesse. Continue to vary tasks often. Wrap my mind around another level of chronic pain added to the mix. Nothing that cannot be done.

I am the kind of person who needs answers. Now that I have them, I can figure out how to live with new limitations.

And live I will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once you take care of the stenosis and carpel ... it might reduce the over all inflammation. Keep positive and give it some time to correct the main problems

Have you tried brushes with a larger hold area?

Karen :) said...

I recently started replacing my brushes with some having large acrylic handles! Those do help! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, it's **Mary** from Flickr - I came across the painting of the trees and noticed your blog.When I hear people having pain in the hands, fingers/joints, it interests me. I have quite a bit or arthritis in my joints from various things from accidents with horses, lifting things that way too heavy - anyway I have got a lot of relief from magnetic therapy. Have you heard of it? I wear a bracelet with magnets in it and it's quite attractive - but the most important thing is that it works. I don't have any pain in my joints at all!
It's a thought that you may investigate. Google magnetic therapy and see what you can come up with. You can certainly email me back with questions, etc. if you'd like.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...