Thursday, July 01, 2010

Grandma's House

While Bill and I were down in Hazlehurst on Tuesday, I asked him drive over to the street where my grandmother used to live. I spent many hours in that house on St. Charles street, reading books and playing with dolls that used to belong to my mother. Many holiday meals took place around my grandmother's table, served on china she got as a young bride. Pictures were taken in front of her beautiful azalea bushes and games were played on her front lawn.

It has been about 10 years since I last saw my grandmothers' house, but I was not prepared for the sight that met my eyes this week. Her house was unrecognizable. The once lush and well kept lawn was covered with trash and junked cars. Window screens were torn and shutters were sagging. Paint was peeling and the beautiful azaleas were gone.

I now fervently wish that I had not had the impulse to drive by. Honestly, it would have been better for the house to no longer have existed than to see it like this.

Thank goodness I still have my memories, and they are of a humble, but pristine white house kept with love.

4 comments:

meredith said...

oh my gosh, Karen so sad. Is the whole neighborhood bad?

fiona said...

The same thing happened to my family home. I was visiting London with my kids when they were so young (Schy was about six months old) and we decided to drive by my old family home - a home that my parents had lived in for over 45 years and where I had spent my entire childhood. We were met with a broken down gate, dirty peeling paint and an overgrown garden - a garden that had been lovingly tended to by both mum and dad. I was heart broken but I thought I'll not let it take away from all the lovely memories I had growing up there.

Interestingly, when I returned to home for Dad's funeral a few years ago - new owners - new windows and paint and the yard restored. My hope is that one day, such a sweet thing should happen to your Grandmother's home but do remember no matter what it looks like now - the happy memories should always remain.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! How sad. I guess it comes with age, but that doesn't make it any easier.

The house I lived in from 5 - 13 - the house that felt like "home" to me has been torn down. That house had a full basement, and not even the basement or foundation remains. Only my memories. Even the house and cabins that were next door are gone. But the memories remain.

Melissa Foster Denney said...

My Granny and Big Daddy's house was used as a firefighting exercise! I found out two weeks before and learned there was nothing I could do. The worst part - my cousin did it. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, the property got into his hands and he burned it! So, terribly sad. He put a butler building there for his business, and lives behind it in a trailer. I have to drive by it every time I go to my Daddy's grave, and I get more furious every time. I need to let it go, but it's hard. I loved that place.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...