Sunday, August 08, 2010

Pennie

When I began a counseling internship at the local mental health agency back in 1998, one of the first people I met was Pennie. 


Pennie had not been out of school for long, but she was an excellent counselor. Pretty and vivacious, she helped keep things loose in a job that could have extremely tense moments. I could go in Pennie's office, close the door behind me, and let off some steam. She always knew she could do the same. 


We worked together through the breakup of her first marriage, the suicide of one of my friends, my grandmother's death,  Pennie's remarriage and the birth of her son. 


When Pennie left, things were never quite the same at the mental health. She lives in Texas now, but we have stayed in touch by phone, email, Facebook, and face to face when she comes to Mississippi to visit family.  We can still crack each other up with just a word or two. 


Last week, Pennie had a mild stroke. It has been determined that this was due to a hole in her heart. She has surgery to repair that in the morning.  


So, tonight I am praying for successful surgery, complete recovery, and many more laughs. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yip...make the woman with the heart condition cry (sniff sniff)...I love you, too. Pennie ;)

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...