Thursday, November 24, 2022

Random Musings for November

 

I can't believe I didn't write anything in October. It was a crazy month, with chemo, having major plumbing work in my house that necessitated staying in a motel for several days, and despite my best efforts, getting a really nasty cold. 

November has flown by. I can't believe the month is nearly over already. I got a bonus week off of chemo, so I was able to attend a small Thanksgiving gathering and enjoy my meal. I was fading after a couple of hours, but it was good to see many of my family members, even for a short while. 

I have much to be thankful for this year, despite the dubious gift of colon cancer. I have both Medicare and Aetna insurance, so the bills, while significant, have not been crippling. I have had more offers of help from family and friends than I could possibly accept. I have a really good oncologist who listens to me and has adjusted my chemo to a tolerable level. I am able to have something akin to a normal life on the weeks between chemo. 

Bill's cancer continues to hold steady with monthly infusions of Opdivo and PET scans every 3 months. We are thankful that he feels good and is able to do the things he wants to do. 

I did find out that we are no longer eligible to donate our bodies to the University of Mississippi Medical Center since we both have metastatic cancers. I guess we will be cremated and scattered over some of our favorite places.

I feel really sorry for folks who are hung up on money and "things." Nothing else matters. I'm kind of partial to things like clean air and water, folks being able to afford healthcare, and affordable housing. How much money does one person really need? 

LSU is going to the SEC Championship game. I was not expecting ANYTHING out of my beloved team this year, but they have really surprised me. It's fun to watch LSU football again. 

Bill and I will be married 39 years on Saturday, November 26th. It seems like I was that nervous young bride just yesterday. It has not always been easy, but it has been worth it. I am just thankful that we are able to support each other during our respective cancer battles! 

Overall, life is good and I am thankful. 


3 comments:

Jeanne Jeng said...

You have a great attitude about life. I recently read a book by Suleika Jaouad ‘s cancer journey. Indeed, a positive attitude helps us cancer patients do life as best we can.

““You have to shift from the gloom and doom and focus instead on what you love,” she told me before bed. “That’s all you can do in the face of these things. Love the people around you. Love the life you have. I can’t think of a more powerful response to life’s sorrows than loving.””

— Between Two Kingdoms: A Memoir of a Life Interrupted by Suleika Jaouad
https://a.co/amtgDS3

Penny Joyner said...

I have another friend going thru cancer treatment for colon cancer. She too is a beam of positive thoughts and action. Keep staying positive and making others laugh. Praying you thru this journey.

Tammy LaGrone said...

I am Thankful you and Bill got to enjoy Thanksgiving with family and friends... it is not about the food but the fellowship.
I remember your wedding like it was yesterday. You were a beautiful bride, and Bill a handsome groom. Life is not about
"Things" it is about loved ones now and past.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...