Monday, November 29, 2010

Missing Mama

This Christmas, my mama will have been gone 20 years. Sometimes it is hard to believe it has been that long. It seems like just yesterday that I spent Christmas in the waiting room outside of the ICU praying that mama could beat the odds just one more time. 


Christmas was mama's favorite holiday. We would cook and make goodies for the people who helped keep her going. Precious pharmacists, doctors, friends, and neighbors. Her tree was always beautifully decorated, often with my handmade ornaments. We would sing "O Holy Night" together, my soprano blending perfectly with her wonderful, rich alto. 


Some Christmases are more difficult than others. For some reason, this season is already beginning to get to me. I got teary eyed singing some of her favorite carols at Hanging of the Greens. Three friends have lost loved ones in the past two weeks, and their grief brings mine back, even after all these years. 


But, I am my mothers' child. I may feel sad at times, but I will get through the holiday with as much joy and grace as I can muster. Goodies will be baked, solos will be sung, and my tree will be exquisitely decorated with the ornaments she gave me. 


My memories ensure that mama lives on. 


In me. 







3 comments:

fiona said...

Sad time of year for you and others' recent loss compounds it I'm sure

hugs to you.
Carrie

('Silent Night' unravels me each and every Christmas but I sing it to my kids at bedtime every night, year round and my mum lives on through them too..)

Anonymous said...

I saw those divided trays you and Mom used to fill and give away for Christmas last week and I thought of you and your Mom. What a great legacy she has left for/in/through you! Give me a call sometime when you're coming to north Jackson/Madison. George and I would love to see you. Merry Christmas, dear friend.

Reginia

auntie-c said...

Love you, precious friend.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...