Saturday, July 23, 2011

Heart to Heart

As my Monday afternoon cardiology appointment draws near, I find myself getting a bit anxious. Not panicky, just a bit unsettled.

I don't know which is worse. Being afraid that it *is* my heart, or being embarrassed if it turns out to be a very expensive case of indigestion. I know I will feel better when I know one way or another. I have just been dismissed and ridiculed before concerning my (very real) health issues and the scars remain. And although people mean well when they say "don't worry", "put it in GOD'S hands" (imagine the stentorian tones here), or "it will be all right", it does more harm than good. Sometimes I need to hear "It's OK to be scared."

But, having buried my mother, grandfather, and an aunt all at age 57 of heart disease, I suppose I would rather be safe than sorry.

3 comments:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

It's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry - especially dealing with the heart. Hang in there.

Much Love,

Melissa D.

Anonymous said...

I think that one of the biggest mistakes we make as Christians is to make people feel 'lesser than' because they're concerned. Yes, we are told repeated in the Bible to not be afraid...to trust... but God knows we ARE human. He should know better than anyone we are human with human emotions. You are right to have this checked out, especially given your family history.

On a more personal note, sorry I was in and out of Flickr so fast. Long story about some difficulties I was having. Anyway, I'm pretty much thinking I'm dropping everything but FB. Are you on FB?

Zaa said...

GOd takes care of those who help themselves.. I do believe that your family awareness of heart disease..has prompted you to care for yourself... sometimes that indigestion is a sign of ' reflux' ... so think positively my friend... I am sending healing prayers your way ... HUGS

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...