Saturday, May 09, 2015

BroomStick Betty

This moniker was hung on my mother by my brother-in-law, Barry. when he was a teenager dating my sister. Of course, to be fair, she started calling HIM Barry Bird first! 

The nickname stuck and became the genesis of a new hobby for mama. She began to collect witches. This was the era of the Kitchen Witch, and she had several of those. She had witches brought to her from all over the US and even from other countries. When she passed away in 1990, most of her friends chose one of her witches to remember her by. I still have one hanging in my office, a stuffed one with white hair, striped stockings, and pointed black shoes. 

If I was out with her and we saw a witch of some kind in a store or holiday display, I would shout MAMA! I think mom got a kick out of it. I remember mama expressing her disappointment when she found out the Good Witch of the North in The Wizard of Oz was Billie Burke, more known as a comedienne than the elegant, beautiful, Glinda. 

Even after almost 25 years, I still miss BroomStick Betty. I miss her singing. I miss watching her cooking in her witch filled kitchen. I miss her encouragement and her belief that I could do most anything I set my mind to. 

So, this Mother's Day, I will raise a glass of sweet tea and remember the best of my mama, BroomStick Betty, a true original.

3 comments:

Doug Boone said...

I'm so glad to have known Betty. She was one very special lady. So many memories ... Kristie, Marilyn, and I still talk about her all the time. There will never be another Broomstick Betty!

Doug Boone said...

Just thinking about that little dog she loved so much. Bonnie? She even fed it chocolate treats!

Enjoyed your post Karen,

Doug

Karen :) said...

Yes, that was Bonnie, the world's most spoiled rotten dog! Mama would drive to town just to get her an ice cream cone! And mama thought the world of the Boones!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...