Saturday, May 19, 2018

Royal Wedding

Yes. I am one of THOSE people. Those people who set alarms for unholy hours to watch royal weddings. 

Years ago, the girls in my dorm at Mississippi College got up at 4 AM to watch Diana marry Prince Charles. Later, I got up early to watch Sarah Ferguson marry Prince Andrew. I arose long before my usual hour to view the wedding of Kate and Prince William. I even remember skipping class years ago while in college to watch Luke and Laura get married on General Hospital! 

I know there are a lot of folks who don't care about royal weddings. But, I love them. I love the specials that are aired in the weeks before, full of British history and tradition. I love the speculation about the dress, the guests, and the music. 

There has been so much tragedy this year with horrible school shootings, natural disasters, unrest, and just plain hatefulness. I know that this wedding is considered frivolous in the grand scheme of things. But, sometimes, I need the escape that such an event provides. I need to see hopeful young people in love. I need to see adorable children all dressed up. I need to see lovely flowers and pretty dresses. I need to hear the gorgeous music.  I need to be reminded of what is beautiful and true in the world. 

I think this couple has a wonderful future ahead and I look forward to seeing great things from them. 




1 comment:

Bobbie said...

I couldn't agree more. This was a welcome respite from the doom, gloom, harsh realities that have been the "norm" emanating from,our tv screens and tablets for what seems like an eternity. I didn't go to bed until 6:15am as I watched the Royal Wedding live as it unfolded on my tv here on the West (Pacific) coast of Canada. I enjoyed every single moment: the happy crowds gathered in the sunshine to cheer the happy couple, the adorable little bridesmaids and pageboys as they tried ever so valiantly to manage Meghan's 15foot train! The grand Chapel of St. George and the spectacular Windsor Castle were feasts for the eyes, and the varied music was delightful. Of course, the piece de resistance was the simple elegance of the Givenchy gown, complemented by the handsome uniform worn by Prince Harry. Yes, Karen, I couldn't agree with you more. This was a beautiful event, and I'm glad and grateful I was able to enjoy it as it unfolded.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...