Sunday, May 20, 2018

Billy Cannon's Halloween Run

I read today where Billy Cannon passed away at the age of 80. 

Whenever I hear the name Billy Cannon, I automatically remember my Mama telling me about missing this famous Halloween run...and why. 

The story actually begins with my mother being 9 months pregnant with me. October 10th was a home game against Miami. She got up and dressed, thinking she was going to attend the ballgame with her student ticket. To her great chagrin, Daddy was not having her risk going into labor right there in Tiger Stadium. Apparently, Mama was extremely upset by this and sat on a bench outside the stadium, listening to the game and calling Daddy every name in the book. 

Two days later, on October 12th, I was born. 

Mama had a hard time birthing me and had some complications. This was also a time when parents did not take 2 1/2 week old babies out and about like they do now. Because of me, Mama missed Billy Cannon's 83-yard runback against Ole Miss to win the game 7-3. 

I don't think she ever quite forgave me. 

Maybe he can recreate it for her in Heaven. 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...