Friday, March 26, 2021

Normalizing


 Now that I have had both vaccine doses and have waited the requisite two weeks, I thought I was ready to reenter a more "normal" life. In some ways, I am. I had a lovely lunch with a vaccinated friend last week. I went to my favorite local boutique (Strut Boutique) and bought some new clothes. I imagine that running around town in the oversized T-shirts and pajama pants, that constituted most of my pandemic wardrobe, might not be my best look. I went to the grocery store late morning instead of getting up at 6:30 AM to hit the 7 AM "old people" hour. 

On the other hand, after attending a birthday gathering for my nephew this evening (participants were either vaccinated or had been quarantining in anticipation of the occasion) I realized that my tolerance for groups, even a relatively small gathering of 9, has decreased greatly over the last year. I am unused to the noise level of a half full restaurant. I found trying to converse with that many people, coupled with the noise, a bit exhausting. Don't get me wrong, I am fond of everyone who attended. But, it was overload for this admitted extrovert. 

Another thing I am noticing is that I don't feel ready to resume face to face relationships with some people that I have only "seen" on social media this past year. In the absence of physical proximity and being able to observe body language, etc, postings can come across as terribly intolerant, harsh, and just plain mean. If this is really what is in their hearts, do I really know them anymore? I'm not sure I'm ready to reconnect. 

It is going to take some time to "de-program." I find myself still avoiding aisles in the grocery store that are occupied by others. I still automatically put distance between myself and maskless people in public places. I don't want to go anywhere that is crowded, but I was already like that before COVID-19! 

Is anyone else having some difficulty getting back to normal? Or is it time for a new one? 



No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...