Sunday, April 22, 2007

Monday's Child


This morning, the leader of an online Weight Watcher thread that I am on posted a JFF question.

What day of the week were you born?

I dutifully went to the posted page and found that I am a "Monday's Child" who is supposed to be "fair of face."

Now anyone who knows me can tell you that I am no beauty queen. But, I am not totally unhappy with my looks. I have my dad's eyes and my mom's mouth. When I look in the mirror, I can tell where I come from.

When I was growing up, I was called "ugly" by my less charitable classmates. I had braces and wire rimmed glasses. I was skinny and I was awkward. I was not going to be entering the Miss Mississippi pageant.

But, a funny thing happened after I grew up. Despite struggling with my weight most of my adult life, I FEEL attractive. My mother was a large woman, but she was beautiful and made the most of her looks by dressing well, keeping her hair and makeup current and stylish, and by carrying herself with a confident air.

So, even though I am a large woman now, I learned to make the most of what I have from the master.

My mama.


1 comment:

auntie-c said...

What a lovely picture of your Mama... and I really see the resemblance!

love you...

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...