Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Day with KK

Back when my niece and nephew were small, I struggled with finding ideas for gifts for them. As the only grandchildren on either side of the family, they were knee deep in toys and clothes. Not wanting to add to that pile, I devised "gift certificates" for "A Day with KK."

The kids come to my house individually and are allowed to do (ALMOST) anything they want to do that day. It may be a Cartoon Network watching marathon (God save me from Billy and Mandy!) or making peanut butter Rice Krispie treats (a perennial favorite).

With the niece yesterday, the activities are now geared for a teenager. I gave her a pedicure, showed her how to make a mandala, and did meditation exercises with her. One of her favorite meals was cooked and served on my mother's china. We took out my mother's things and I told her stories about her "Nana Broomstick" who, to my great sorrow, never got to see her precious granddaughter.

I got an e-mail last night from my niece, saying that this was one of the best days she had had all summer.

Ditto for me. :)


3 comments:

auntie-c said...

...days with KK are wonderful, I know!

love you.

~c

dwfsig

SuziQoregon said...

Some of my favorite memories of time with my Uncle are those times he saved for just the two of us to spend time together.

I love building memories :-)


rjiizyn ;-P

OhhMy Gifts & Things said...

Hi, I just ran across your blog looking for fellow Mississippians. I'm KK to my nephew too. Short for Karen.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...