Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mother's Day

I have several friends who are facing their first Mother's Day without thier moms. My heart just aches for them, because I remember how very hard that first Mother's Day was for me. Indeed, it took 3 or 4 before I was able to get through our church service and not be in tears at some point.

I still miss my mom. I am thankful to have a precious stepmom who makes my dad happy, but I miss my mom. I miss that special "mom" brand of love and encouragement. I miss her cooking. Even with the exact recipes, things just don't taste the same when I make them. I miss singing with her and hearing her lovely alto voice.
I miss the knowing that one person on the planet loved me unconditionally.

I am thankful that I had her for 30 years. Some people are estranged from their mothers or never even knew them. I can't imagine that.

So, ((hugs)) to those missing their moms on Mother's Day. And if you still have your mom, give her an extra hug.

You never know when it might be the last one.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

(((Karen)))

I am sure that your Mom would be so proud of you if she could see you now!

xoxoxo
Melissa

fiona said...

{{Karen}}

I know you miss your sweet mum so much and I'm always surprised how much I miss mine more as every year passes; it doesn't seem to get any easier does it? But now I just laugh out loud that the older I get the more alike we are becoming! Much to the joy of my kids (NOT!)
XOXO

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...