Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jim

Although Jim was a few years older than me, our paths crossed a pretty good bit over the years. I mostly knew him from his playing percussion for church cantatas and little theatre productions.

Jim was also my mothers' pest control man. But he was more than that. He was her friend. Mama was chronically ill for the last 11 years of her life, often in severe pain, and had difficulty breathing. Jim would come spray the house and then sit with mom, have a glass of tea, and dish about the goings on in town.

Jim wore yet another hat. He was an EMT with the local fire department. On Christmas morning, 1990, Jim was driving the ambulance that responded to my daddy's 911 call when my mom could not be awakened.

The next day, the first person on my doorstep was Jim with the arms open to give me a hug and express his condolences on the death of my mother.

Jim was not perfect. He liked his alcohol. His marriages were not successful. He leaves a legacy of two pretty awesome teenage sons and memories of his kindness and compassion.

The last time I talked to Jim was a couple of weeks ago. He had called the house to talk to my husband about a coin he had found. He had been having some health problems, but was hanging in there.

Jim is in Heaven now, probably catching up with my mama and laying down a beat for the angels to dance to.

Rest in peace.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So well written Karen. - Taswiir.

Becky said...

I had no idea he had died or was even sick. Back when we were in the wreck many moons ago, he was the first on-site and was a great comfort to a scared, injured eleven-year-old girl. I will never forget the kindness he showed me that day and the years after.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...