Friday, March 12, 2010

Via Dolorosa

After a week of waiting and wondering, it was finally decided that I will once again be able to sing the Via Dolorosa at my church during this Lenten season.

The Via Dolorosa (or Way of Suffering) is said to be the path that Jesus walked bearing His cross on the way to His crucifixion. The song, popularized by Sandi Patti, strives to put the listener into that scene.

I have been singing the Via Dolorosa in my church for at least 21 years. It has survived the comings and goings of 4 ministers now. People in the congregation come up to me in the weeks before I sing to tell me how much they are looking forward to it. And I get cards and letters afterwards from church members who are moved by the words and mood of this touching piece.

I know the day will come when I am no longer able to do this song justice. And I hope that I will have the grace to know when it is time for me to stop singing it. But I don't think that time has come. And, for that, I am thankful.





No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...