Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beauty Shop

For the first time in his life, my husband had to get his hair cut at a "beauty shop." 


The longtime "old man" barbers in town, Monte and Mr. Clark have either retired or will be retiring soon. Long hours on their feet are just no longer possible due to age and health issues. These barbershops were more than just a place to get an "over the ears" cut or a flattop. They were social gathering places where men could get together and talk football, politics, and whatever else was on their minds. 


The shop I go to is not a "fussy" beauty shop. There is not a dab of pink anywhere. It is staffed by  "down to Earth" ladies who are quick and efficient. It took a bit of persuading, but I finally got my husband to let me make him an appointment. 


Turns out, my husband used to skate with the father and aunts of Amber, who cut his hair today. And he went to school with the older brothers of the beautician in the next chair, Rita. It was practically "old home week." 


Nothing will ever replace Monte's, but the transition does not seem to be as painful as I feared. And his hair looks terrific!







No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...