Tuesday, January 01, 2013

The "D" Word.

To quote "Garfield", Diet is DIE with a "T."  

I have got to figure out a way to lose at least some weight. I know most people have this as a New Year's resolution. However, I have some obstacles that make it extra difficult. I am going to have to figure something out. 

Obstacles:

1. My neuromuscular disease makes me exercise intolerant. My muscles are atrophying. They do not build up or gain strength. The more I try to use them, the weaker they get. 

2. Extensive food allergies:
Shellfish, ocean fish (tuna, salmon, cod, etc.) 
Oats and barley
Legumes (beans and peas) Also having trouble with peanuts now. 
Leafy greens (lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, greens, etc.)
Squash, zucchini, pumpkin, cucumbers
Most fruit: Strawberries, melons, apples, pears, grapes, bananas, kiwi, cranberries and anything in those families. 
Coffee

Yes, I did the elimination diet. Yes, I reacted to EVERYTHING on the list. 

3. Food intolerances
Milk, ice cream, yogurt, citrus, tomatoes, soy, beef, rice, peppers, and  corn: Can have these only occasionally due to reflux. Yes, I have had surgery and take medication daily. I still have reflux. 

4. Something in most of the "diet" foods gives me bad stomach problems. These do not get better over time. The frozen dinners are the worst. 

5. I have been warned not to overeat the fruits I am not allergic to, cherries, pineapple, blueberries, and peaches, because that could cause me to develop allergies to them later. 

6. Eating out (especially for lunch) is a big part of my social life since I had to retire. I need to have a reason to make myself get dressed and out. It would be really easy to sit on the couch. Lunch is when I connect with friends. 

7. I am essentially left with whole wheat bread, cheese, freshwater fish, chicken, pasta, potatoes, ground beef, pork, eggs, cashews, almonds, pecans, and onions that I can eat on a regular basis. 

8. Major pitfalls are a small freezer, grabbing snack food because it is easy, especially at night, when I am tired and don't want to cook, a husband who is a junk food junkie and very hard to please, and a deep and abiding love for chocolate. 

I am fairly fortunate that, despite my weight, I have no problems with blood pressure or blood sugar. But, I need to get some of the weight off my knees! There has to be a way to do it with my limited food choices and no exercise. The key for me is going to be portion control and limiting late night nibbling. 

I can do this. 











No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...