Sunday, January 06, 2013

Blessings

Yes, I am counting them tonight.

Due to some difficulties with my van, my husband was reluctant for me to go to Hermanville this morning. So, I stayed close to home and spent the day visiting with friends in three different hospital and nursing facilities.

The first visit was to "Miss Mary", who "kept house" for my Daddy until her health no longer permitted it. She is having her left leg amputated in the morning. Her right one is already gone. Instead of bemoaning her fate, she asked about my entire family and expressed condolences on the loss of my father-in-law.

My second visit was to Promise rehab facility to see my friend Sharon. Over the past few days, it has been my privilege to witness a miracle. Sharon had a stroke the day after Christmas, was unresponsive for days, and when she woke, was unable to speak. Today, she is talking, walking (with a walker for now) and rapidly getting back to normal.

The third visit was to a local nursing home to see "Big Bad John" as I call him. BBJ has been in intensive care, a rehab hospital, and now a nursing home since September 7th, after suffering acute respiratory distress and atrial fibrillation. He very nearly did not make it. I rejoiced as I watched a video his wife took of him walking (with a walker) down the hall to the nurses station, to the cheers of staff and residents alike.

My legs don't always work well, but I still have both of them. I sometimes have to use a walker, but I have never had a stroke. And I can't imagine being hospitalized in some fashion for 4 solid months.

After I finished visiting, I called 5 year old Mylie and took her out for a frozen yogurt. I felt like celebrating my friends and their triumphs.

And counting my blessings once again.

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...