Saturday, April 26, 2014

A Hymnal of My Own

This month I celebrated my first anniversary as a member of Hermanville United Methodist Church. I had been attending before that, but last April was when I decided to make to transition from my former church to HUMC. 

Last Sunday, our pianist, Daphne Bruce and I were presented with our very own personalized hymnals. I was surprised and (momentarily) speechless. Our pastor, Charles, told the story of his first Sunday at HUMC. He was holding off beginning the service. One of the members told him he might as well go ahead and start. Charles asked about a pianist or a music leader and was told "We don't sing." 

Well, the members of HUMC now sing! Hymns, the Doxology, the Gloria Patri, and special music are now part of every service. I feel so blessed to be a part of the two person "music department." 

Many years ago, my paternal grandmother gave me my first Bible. I was a white leather King James Version. I opened it and the first scripture I saw was this one. It is still one of my favorites. 

Psalm 100

King James Version (KJV)
100 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.




 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...