Friday, November 06, 2015

Elections 2015: What I Learned

For the first time in quite a while, I found myself particularly involved in the election that was held last Tuesday. There were actually people running for office that I truly believed in, rather than simply choosing the lesser of two evils. 

I was disappointed in many of the results. It appears that a majority of Mississippians are quite content with being 50th in most categories. The things that matter to me, such as education and healthcare don't matter to everyone. And, God forbid that someone should get something to which we think he or she should not be entitled. I was also chagrined at the number of young people who told me that they did not bother to vote. Many were not even registered and had no idea where their polling places were.

But, there were good things that happened as well. I was privileged to meet the courageous Christen Hemmins, who, although not in my district, amazed me with her story and ability to overcome the stuff of nightmares. I was pleased to see that the ever capable Jan Daigre and Donna Hardy retained their positions in local government. 

The best part of the campaign process for me was meeting Joce Pritchett. A highly educated, successful owner of an engineering firm, she ran for the extremely important office of State Auditor. That she lost to the Caucasian, upper middle class, Republican male was no real surprise in this state. However, she ran a clean, honest campaign that will hopefully inspire other women to step up and do the same.

All I can do now is pray that the duly elected officials make choices that will benefit ALL the people of Mississippi, not just a select few. 
 

 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...