Sunday, December 13, 2015

December

I am almost afraid to write this post for fear I will "jinx" this (so far!) calm and peaceful December. But, I am counting my blessings today that neither I, nor anyone else in my family is seriously ill or dying. I am not having surgery and I do not have the flu. (Knock on wood!) 

The Memories page on Facebook reminded me that 7 years ago, I had surgery, 6 years ago, I was not doing well, and mired in doctor's appointments. Five years ago, my stepmom had hip surgery and ended up in ICU. Four years ago, I was helping care for my dying daddy and 3 years ago today, we laid my father-in-law to rest. Two years ago, I had a nasty case of flu that necessitated the delay of my hip replacement, and last year, I got hernia surgery for Christmas. 

Through all of this, I was blessed with encouragement and support from my friends. Meals were brought, prayers were offered, and one precious person even brought me a small, decorated Christmas tree when I was too exhausted from caring for loved ones to even try to put one up. 

This year, I have had time to put up my tree, go to some Christmas events, buy a few gifts, and send Christmas cards. I even have plans to bake some treats to send with my husband when he goes to spend Christmas with his brother and sister in Tennessee. All in all, what seems like a normal December. 

I know that life can turn on a dime. My loved ones and I might yet have our December disrupted. But, in this moment, I am thankful for what I have already had this month. 

Happy December!
 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...