Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Mary Mary Quite Contrary

*Disclaimer* This is not about any of my dear friends who happen to be blessed with the name Mary! 

In every life a little contrarian must fall, I suppose. Lately, on Facebook, there have been a couple of folks who seem to believe it is their bounden duty to contradict posts whenever and where ever possible. This is not just on my own posts, but the posts of friends as well. Some of them are not friends of the person whose post I might comment on but choose to step in and hijack the post for their own agendas. I don't mind opposing viewpoints, but when it is a never ending campaign it gets wearying.  A change in Facebook settings may be in order. 

For the most part, I try not to post anything too controversial on my own wall. I don't like conflict and negative, contrary people are draining both in real life and on social media. As a retired counselor, I admit that I try to figure out what causes them to be so ornery. 

 A June 9th, 2016 article in Psychology Today states:

"While contrarians often see themselves as righteous defenders of truth, others may experience them as crotchety pot-stirrers." 

Bless their hearts. 

My grandmother used to say "It takes all kinds to make a world." But, I don't necessarily have to let them into MY world. A visit to the unfriend and/or block buttons may be in order.

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...