Monday, August 26, 2019

Rocks

I began painting rocks as I waited to see what Hurricane Barry was going to do. Ever since Katrina, I get pretty anxious when a storm is coming my way. And I do best when I can find something to do with my hands. 

I used to watercolor during these times, but due to neuromuscular and nerve issues, I no longer have the kind of control necessary to watercolor the way I want to. I do collage, but I do not have the space to continue to make and store this kind of work.

So, I decided to try painting rocks. I figure small ones can be used as paperweights, and larger ones can be put in flower beds or used as doorstops. I use what is called "patio paint" and I add a coat of varnish so that they can live outside. 

My 90-year-old friend, Ruth Gay loves to go with me and put these little rocks in planters, small landscaped areas in front of local establishments, and special ones by mailboxes for friends and family. We are careful not to put them where they might interfere with mowing or be a hazard to anyone. 

I was a little hesitant to put the word out about my rocks on the Vicksburg Facebook page. I was a bit afraid that folks might think me crazier than I already am. But, I have not only received positive responses, but I was also invited to join a "rock group" on FB where people paint and hide rocks around town to be taken and "re-hidden" elsewhere. I will definitely be joining in this fun! 

Happy rock hunting!


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...