Monday, August 19, 2019

I'm a Survivor

I'm not going to go into all the things in my life that I have survived. To quote Sweet Brown "Ain't nobody got time for that!" 

For a while, I allowed myself to be a victim. I refrained from living my life to the fullest because I was afraid that something else would happen. 

Therapy taught me to be assertive. It taught me to stop feeling sorry for myself. I was getting nowhere seeing myself as a victim. 

I also learned how not to continue to be a victim. I began to walk away from people and situations that were no longer healthy for me. This is still difficult for me at times, but I am able to recognize hopeless situations more quickly. And I choose not to beat my head against a wall trying to stay in them. 

There was a time when the last word I would have used for myself was strong. 

But I am a survivor. If I am knocked down, I will get up.

I am strong. 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...