Monday, April 13, 2020

Expendable?




Expendable: of little significance when compared to an overall purpose, and therefore able to be abandoned. 

As the regulations on gatherings and essential businesses go on, I know that a lot of people are itching for an immediate return back to business as usual. I get it. I do. There are a lot of people out of work who were already living paycheck to paycheck. 

I was reading the comments under one such post this afternoon. One person said that "This is America! Survival of the fittest!" I know other people are thinking that, even if they are not saying it out loud. 

I read respected local medical professionals opinions about the need to continue safety practices for a while longer. Our relatively small hospital has been known to get overwhelmed in a bad flu year, let alone one where a much larger group of people could require intensive medical resources in a very short time. 

Believe me, I am all about a return to some semblance of normal. But does it have to be immediate and does it have to happen all at once? As a fairly high risk person, I have a feeling that my life will not be going back to my previous normal any time soon. I see masks, gloves, and some degree of social distancing in my life for the foreseeable future. Being that higher risk asthmatic, immunosuppressed, over 60 person with a neuromuscular disorder, I tend to shy away from crowds or anyone who is obviously ill anyway. 

Are there alternatives to just throwing the vulnerable to the wolves? My Christian faith seems to make a case that the ill and elderly are cherished children of God and worthy of being treated as such. 

Today it really hit me that in many people's eyes, I am expendable. People like me are nothing compared to the economy and the convenience of the healthy. In the grand scheme of things, I don't matter. And that hurts. 

I think I still have at least something to offer this world. 

I just hope I get the time to do it. 



No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...