Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Opening Up?

Look, I get it. I realize that we cannot stay shut down forever. People are ready to get back into their normal routines. And, for some, this is completely worth risking their own lives and the lives of others. 

But, can we do this with some degree of care? Would it really be so bad to have places limit the number of people inside for a while? I, for one, would love to see restaurant tables spaced out enough not to be able to hear every word of the conversation at the next table! 

I am also aware that we vulnerable folks are going to have to be careful for the foreseeable future no matter what the government decides. I will be the one still wearing a mask, washing my hands more often, avoiding crowds, and not shaking hands for some time to come. I will not mind having my temperature taken before I enter a medical facility. And I am fine doing business through windows for a while. 

Another thing I am hoping will happen after "reopening" is that stores might consider continuing "senior hours" at least one day a week. This virus is not just going to go away and this gesture would be appreciated by those of us who qualify. I can also see more employment opportunities for Instacart and other pickup service workers. 

If those of us who have a steady income can help our friends and neighbors who are out of work right now, we might be able to obtain that balance between safety and the economy. 

It's worth a try. 





No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...