Sunday, December 05, 2021

The Christmas Crud

 


I call it the “Christmas Crud.” Despite all my precautions, I get it every year. I stay slightly immune suppressed due to my need for daily steroids, and this does not help matters. It is nothing drastic. Sore throat, congestion, and a slight headache are the main symptoms. 


I have learned from hard experience that it does not pay to push it. Singing is possible, but not comfortable. And, I know if I sing or speak very much at this point, I can risk being without my voice for weeks and even months. I have twice had ulcers on my vocal cords which required months or vocal rest and speech therapy to heal. I just can’t go through that again if I can help it. 


I had to back out of a singing commitment this week. It absolutely kills me not to be able to follow through on something I promise to do. I have been resting my voice this week in hopes that I will be able to follow through on the rest of my planned singing this month. I am thankful that at least, this year, I did not get it on Christmas week. I actually have a chance to get well before the big day. 


Maybe one year I won’t get the Christmas crud.


Here’s hoping. 


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...