Saturday, August 05, 2006

Midsummer Meltdown

I have officially hit my summer slump. Heat makes my neuromuscular disease worse and it has been hot in Mississippi this past week.

This is when I begin to go stir crazy. My mind is going 90 miles an hour, but my body won't keep pace. Just getting a shower can prove too daunting a task to undertake.

My husband does not complain too much, thank goodness. But neither does he offer any words of comfort or encouragement. Growing up with a chronically ill mother, he has little tolerance for sickness in himself or others. A hug or an "I'm sorry you're not feeling well" would mean so much. I have told him as much, but it is simply beyond him.

So, I look for other sources of support and comfort. My online Weight Watcher support group, my friends, and other family members give me most of what I need to get through.

And that has to be enough.


2 comments:

fiona said...

Oh Karen

So sorry this heat is really getting to you. I know it must be detrimental to your health and yet your humour continues to shine through. Sorry your husband doesn't tell you what you want to hear but I suspect he is concerned for your health but has difficulty showing it.. Men!!

Loves ya
Carrie

Eleanor said...

Men can be asses. Of course, this also means we can make them do the heavy lifting.

Seriously -- speaking a thing makes it real, and I'll bet ya dollars to donuts that's what keeps his lips sealed.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...