Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Speechless

This morning I woke up sounding like Otis Campbell from the old "Andy Griffith Show." Myasthenia Gravis has robbed me of my ability to speak clearly this morning. It will most likely be back in a few hours, but for now, I have to pretty much remain silent.

I find it amazing how much this limits me. I can't call up friends. I can't return my dad's call. I can't call up the pharmacy and reorder my meds. My only clear "voice" this morning is my computer keyboard. I thank God for it.

Yesterday, we had a citywide Cablelynx outage. This is the primary provider to this area, so most of my friends and neighbors were in the same boat. I was surprised at how antsy I became. Knowing that my physical voice can leave me at times, losing my "virtual" voice made me extremely anxious. I was shocked at how helpless I felt.

Fortunately, yesterday, I still had my physical voice. I called up a good friend (thanks Bev!) and felt connected to the world once more.




2 comments:

SuziQoregon said...

Sorry to hear you're having troubles today. Hope your computer behaves!!

fiona said...

Sorry to hear you lost your physical voice today, but more sorry to hear that you even lost your cyber voice.. ouch!

It's funny what a gift RML is.. funny how even when we can't speak and can't physically touch someone, we can somehow remain connected to true friends, night or day via the ol' puter...

May you always stay connected to friends and the Internet!!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...