Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sleepless in Mississippi

Tonight is one of those no-sleeper nights. I fell asleep for a couple of hours, but bad dreams woke me. I can't shut my mind down long enough to go back to sleep.

I saw my friend, Mr. Don, for the first time today since his first round of the really tough chemo. He slept through much of my visit and spent his waking moments in a non-comprehending haze. This is so unlike the cheerful, constantly busy (usually doing for others) man that I have known for 38 years. He does not even seem like the same person.

The sad thing is that this chemo is a long shot. This cancer is a rare type that did not respond to the first round of chemo, cannot be helped with radiation, and is inoperable. I have to wonder if this is ultimately going to be worth it, or is he spending his last weeks or months in misery for nothing.

And all I can do is watch.

And pray.

4 comments:

auntie-c said...

many hugs, dear friend....

Anonymous said...

You have to do the "must sleep all night" chant. Scrunch up your face and place your forefingers on your temples and say "must sleep all night" 3 times before you go to sleep.

Every once in a while I actually do sleep all night after doing this :-)

Anonymous said...

Hugs from me too, sweet Karen. It is so hard to watch someone we love suffer.

Mel

Karen :) said...

MUST SLEEP ALL NIGHT! Will try that, Q!

Thanks for the hugs. This is harder than I thought it would be. :(

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...