Monday, September 25, 2006

Wedding Fashion Do's and Don'ts




Last Saturday, I attended a traditional afternoon wedding in the Deep South city of Montgomery Alabama. The wedding took place in a Methodist Church, which views a wedding as a sacrament and the ceremony is considered a "worship service."


However, some of the attendee's attire was questionable for this occasion, from this writer's point of view. I know that this is NOT Earth shattering, and of course, I am glad that they chose to attend at all. But, I present some of my personal observations about wedding fashion here.

Now I KNOW this sounds old fashioned, but Hawaiian flowerdy shirts and baggy trousers are just not proper church wedding attire for men. I think that a sport coat and tie, or preferably a suit, looks nice and conveys a respect for the event and the church. Save the baggy, untucked shirts for a beach wedding.

The same goes for bare looks for ladies. Low cut, cleavage showing dresses are fine for a cocktail party, but NOT, in my opnion anyway, for a formal church wedding. The same goes for spaghetti strapped dresses with bra straps showing, halters, and excesssively short and tight ensembles. Whatever happened to wearing a tasteful shawl or light jacket for the wedding and then taking it off for the reception? Some of the ensembles I saw looked more appropriate for a street corner than a wedding.

I guess this all boils down to one word. Respect. Respect for the bride and groom. Respect for the place of worship. And most of all, respect for oneself.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear!

And that's not just because it was our wedding...

BUT -- bottom line -- the folks the bride and groom wanted to share the day with were there, and that pleased us mightily.

But BIG yep and ditto on whatever happened to wearing a shawl or something to cover the "party" clothes during the service!!!!

Eleanor

Eleanor said...

Not too old -- just respectful of a faith community's standards.

If I were visiting a mosque, or a synagogue, or a Catholic church I'd make darn sure I asked someone how I should dress to honor their customs, and to make sure I didn't make their worshippers uncomfortable by my presence.

No difference, imho!

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...