Wednesday, April 02, 2008

AI & DWTS

For those who are fans, these initials need no explanation. For those who are not, these are the initials of two of my favorite TV shows: American Idol and Dancing With the Stars.

Talent shows are nothing new to television. I still remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour and Star Search. There is just something that fascinates me about some ordinary person being "discovered" and carried on to fame and fortune. If American Idol had been on when I was a twenty-something, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would have been one of those people lined up to audition. I am a ham. Just slice me up and serve me with honey and mustard. :)

I am really impressed with this year's crop of talent. They are the most original and talented bunch since Bo and Carrie.

Dancing With the Stars fascinates me because it takes people who are already stars of some sort, whether in entertainment, sports, or business, and gets them out of their comfort zones. I never cease to be amazed at how very good some of these humongous athletes can be, given the right partner and a lot of hard work. And even entertainers who have some dance experience find ballroom dancing a whole new ball game.

My favorite "star" this year is Kristi Yamaguchi. I have been a fan of hers since she was a 14 year old pair skater with Rudy Galindo. The discipline and dedication she showed on her way to her Olympic gold medal is standing her in good stead in this competition. I look for her to take the whole thing! :)


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...