Monday, April 14, 2008

The New Phone


Last week, during an extended power and internet outage, I did a foolish thing.

I bought a new phone without researching it first.

I don't do well without access to the internet. Some of my best friends are online on a Weight Watcher thread called RML. Most of my F&B (flesh and blood) friends are overwhelmed with their own problems. RML is my escape, my support, and, possibly? an addiction.

I also check my e-mail regularly. I get the news and prayer requests from my church and fun things from my friends.

So, I bit for a Palm Treo 680. It was an older model, but I really liked the size of it and my ability to see the screen clearly. Not knowing how long I would be off line, I bought the thing without really knowing enough about it.

It has bugs! For starters, the battery does not completely charge. Strike one! At times, the little AT&T at the top of the screen turns to gibbersish and tells me I have no service. It takes a time consuming reset to fix this problem and it is only temporary. AT&T sells no ringtones for this phone. I can download a costly ringtone creator, but why should I have to?

So, this phone is going back to the store, to be replaced probably by a Palm Centro. I like the Palm OS and want to be able to sync it with my other Palm Pilot data. I don't like the size of the Centro as well and the screen size is smaller. The keys are closer together and harder to manage. But, I want something reliable. I must admit to a lusting for an iPhone, but that is not in my current price range!

So, I am off to research phones and make a better choice when I am of sound mind and not suffering from internet withdrawal!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

garnetann said...

I am a pretty straight forward phone kinda gal. I can't even figure out how to take pictures with DH's phone. See ya in Alabama

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...