Monday, November 03, 2008

Daddy

I had a rare treat going to the family reunion yesterday. Some "one on one" time with my Daddy. Don't get me wrong. I am crazy about my sweet stepmom, but sometimes it is nice to have Daddy to myself. I imagine a lot of daughters feel the same way.

Coming back from the reunion, we stopped in Hazlehurst to visit the cemetery and put flowers on the graves of my mother and my grandparents. We passed by the house where Daddy was born, the church where he and my Mama were married, and the house where his parents had lived. He told me about working at a local diner for $2.00 a day when he was a teenager and of his mother threatening some chicken thieves with a shotgun. I have trouble reconciling this image with my memories of my sweet, gentle Mamaw, but I would love to have seen her brandishing her shotgun and yelling at the men who would try to take HER chickens!


"God gave us memory that we might have roses in December."
JM Barrie

I had mine a little early.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bless you Karen

What a beautiful post. The anniversary of my mum's passing is this Friday (Nov 6th) I still miss her desperately but now memories are filled with laughter and knowing that gene pools are stronger than we realize, as I adopt her mannerisms and sayings with my own kids!

Be well
Carrie

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...