Monday, September 01, 2014

Amber Alert

Last night my iPhone went off with a shatteringly loud "emergency" sound. I have to admit, it scared me to death for a moment. 

It turned out to be an Amber Alert for a teenage girl who had been shot and abducted from the Jackson area. I know that there are legal guidelines for the timing of such things, but it seems like this case might have necessitated more expedient handling.

I belong to several groups on Facebook. On one of them was begun about the Amber Alert and the format going from text messages to this loud alarm. I posted that I was going to shut the alarm off for the night as there was little I could do for this child at the moment, except pray for her safe return. 

Whoa! I was not prepared to be blasted for a) shutting off the alarm until morning and b) *gasp* PRAYING for someone. 

I did not even respond to this. I follow several news sites closely and get Amber Alerts without the necessity of having my phone go off and startle me constantly. I don't live in Jackson. I was not planning on going out last night. I am disabled and there is little I could physically do in a situation except call 911. I am also a Christian and a great believer in the power of prayer. 

I will praying throughout the day for this child. If I am out and see anyone fitting her description, I would call the police at once. I will follow her story via the news outlets. 

I don't need to have a constant alarm going off to do all this. 

I am posting the link to the Amber Alert here.

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/26416889/amber-alert-issued-for-teen-believed-to-be-shot-and-abducted?utm_content=bufferc4429&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...