Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My New Best Friend

I have a new best friend. It's name is Synthroid. 

For 20 years, my thyroid function was just over the line, and doctors would all assure me that there was no problem. I had many of the symptoms (weight gain, fatigue, puffy face, joint pain), but they could all be attributed to my other illnesses or medications. But, the possibility of thyroid problems was always in the back of my mind.


Like many other fat people, I have had people say things to me that were thoughtless and rude. I needed to exercise more! Stop eating out! Give up ________! Oh, and I have SUCH a pretty face! I have even had "friends" refuse dessert for me in a restaurant. I am fat, I MUST overeat, right? 

Not necessarily. Granted, I have been on doses of steroids that had me eating everything not nailed down. And, I confess to some degree of comfort eating in times of stress. But, I have never regularly eaten the quantities of food that some people believe. In fact, I am usually eating the smallest meal of just about anyone when I eat out or am at a gathering. 

As of today, I have lost 42 pounds. The last 12 have been in the two weeks I have been on Synthroid. I finally got to the right doctor and received the right diagnosis. Finally. I saw a photo of myself taken last week, and I almost cried. My face was "mine" again. Oval instead of round. My neck no longer looks so terribly thick. And, in a grouping of other people, while I still look heavy, I did not look so terribly out of proportion. 

I am beginning to feel like "me" again.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Happy for you Karen! <3

Elizabeth Scanlon said...

Congrats! I've been on Synthroid for 30 years. It's a lifesaver.

Cindy Maier said...

I too have been on Synthroid for 30 years. However, my levels are always fluctuating and my dose is ever changing.

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...