Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Party

It all started with a meme I shared on Facebook. It said: "This being an adult isn't working out for me. If you need me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring." 

Before I knew it, dozens of people has replied to my post and most of them wanted to join me in my blanket fort and color. So, as my 55th birthday approached, I began to concoct a plan. Why not have a party and combine it with a fundraiser for one of my favorite local charities, the Good Shepherd Community Center? 

Hawkins United Methodist Church was kind enough to donate their fellowship hall for the evening, and the plans began. A blanket fort was built. Cookies, brownies and door prizes were donated. I ordered pizza and brought soft drinks. I had spent the past 2 months buying crayons and colored pencils on sale and printing out coloring pages. Some colorful dominoes and checkers were provided for folks who did not want to color. Music was a collection of old TV theme songs. 

Dear friends helped with setting up, making sure people were fed, and cleaning up. "The Nana" sat at the front door in her wheelchair and made sure everyone ponied up a donation for the cause. One of the highlights of the evening was when my oldest guest, at 90+, crawled into the blanket fort. I want to be Miss Martha when I grow up! 

I had no idea how many people to expect. I put notices up in several places. There were several other more high profile events going on. Some of my friends were busy with health or personal crises. But, many of my favorite people, both friends and family came, and I was happy and thankful to see each one. 

By the end of the evening, we had raised $675.00 to help Good Shepherd continue to provide much needed programs to local families. 

I can't avoid growing old. But, I don't have to completely grow up. 

Yet. 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...