Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Russians

I don't remember Duck and Cover myself, but I can remember older students talking about it. As if hiding under a desk was really any protection from an attack by the ultimate Bogeyman of my childhood...THE RUSSIANS! 

The first time I heard the test of the Emergency Broadcast System, I was scared out of my wits. It took my mama some time to reassure me that this was just something they put on TV periodically so that people would know what to look for and what to do in case THE RUSSIANS really attacked. Oddly enough, I don't remember her offering any platitudes about how that would never happen. 

When the Soviet Union was dissolved, I forgot about THE RUSSIANS for awhile. Other things seemed to be bigger threats. I was busy caring for an ailing mother and being a young wife. I did not live in the kind of fear I did when I was a child. 

I born during the Cold War. With Russia very much in the news lately, I find myself instinctively feeling that childhood fear of THE RUSSIANS. How can anyone born and reared during the Cold War forget the fear of total annihilation we lived with? I am having to cling to my faith as never before, remembering the 21 times that Jesus told us to "fear not", "don't be afraid", and to "have courage." 

Giving in to fear is not the answer. At least, not for me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpEofHOdmQ

 

 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...