Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Cafeteria Anxiety

Last Wednesday, I found myself having a case of "cafeteria anxiety." 

Cafeteria anxiety goes back all the way to my elementary school days. I was not one of the popular kids and most of my friends were in the grade below mine. I would start to sit down somewhere, only to have the person I was planning to sit beside plonk down a sweater or book and tell me I couldn't sit there. By junior high, I was taking my lunch and eating outside on the patio to avoid lunchtime exclusion. Fortunately, I had the same lunch period as several of my band friends, so lunch became much more pleasant. 

Later, as I attended church and other gatherings, usually alone due to my husband's work schedule, the old elementary school cafeteria anxiety reared it's head again. Chairs were leaned against tables, purses saved seats. Of course friends wanted to sit together. I finally stopped going to most things like this unless I had someone specific to go with. 

A couple of weeks ago, I began going to supper at First United Methodist Clinton and taking a study given by my former pastor. Like most things of this sort, some tables are sort of "saved." I spent too much of the day anxious about finding a place to eat and wondering if I should just go to the study and skip supper. But, I got there early, sat at a table that had been fairly empty the week before, and prepared myself to move if this was someone's particular table. 

Happily, I was joined by a lovely young woman with two adorable young children. She was fairly new to the church and was delighted to have someone to sit with (her words!). We struck up a conversation and found we had several things in common. Best of all, no one made me feel like I was intruding or in the way. I will probably sit in the same place this week and hope the nice woman and her children sit with me again.

Here's to new friends and new tables. 

 

 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...