Saturday, December 03, 2016

Sonic

Yesterday, I unwittingly began a bit of a firestorm on the Vicksburg Facebook page when I posted the hourly wage of the Sonic employee. Apparently, they used to make minimum wage, but now they make a paltry $4.00 an hour. Much like sit down restaurants, they rely on tips to make up the rest of their income. Sonic employees do fare a little better in the hourly tipped wage department that their sit-down restaurant counterparts. In Mississippi, restaurant owners can get away with paying their wait staff as little as $2.13 an hour

Although group rules prohibit bashing local businesses, subsequent posters began a litany of complaints about poor service and bad food. Some expressed their dislike of the tipping system in general. People who had obviously never waited tables or worked fast food  considered these jobs "easy." Some folks began the familiar chorus of "these jobs are not meant for careers, just for people to get through college, etc and get REAL jobs." Ideal, yes. Realistic, no. There are huge numbers of good people who simply do not have the ability either financially or intellectually, to pursue higher education. 

As one who has worked both fast food and table waiting, there was nothing "easy" about either job. In fact, I think it would be great for society if everyone had to work at food service for at least a week. Sometimes, poor service may be due to the store being shorthanded, new people in training, or, in a recent case with one of my personal carhops, being upset over her brother being shot! I almost always get good service. I say please and thank you when I order. I always smile and thank my carhop when he or she brings my food. 

And, I always tip. 





 
 


 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...