Tuesday, April 11, 2017

FODMAP

A couple of weeks ago, I had never heard of a FODMAP. My GI doc had to write it down because I had no idea what he was saying.

FODMAPS are:
a collection of short chain carbohydrates and sugar alcohols found in foods naturally or as food additives. FODMAPs include fructose (when in excess of glucose), fructans, galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS), lactose and polyols (eg. sorbitol and mannitol).

These are not well absorbed in the bodies of some folks. In some cases, they can aggravate IBS. In my case, I was having pain very similar to what I was having before I had my gallbladder out. Apparently, my body is simply no longer processing certain foods the way it did before my cholecystectomy. 

So, reluctantly, I gave my bread, cashews, granola bars, apples, cookie mixes, prepared soups, and honey away and began the diet. For me, that word has always been DIE with a T, but I wanted to feel better. 

After only two weeks, I actually feel a lot better. The pain is mostly gone unless I accidentally ingest something that is on the no-no list. My beloved garlic is a major offender and it seems to be in EVERYTHING! Much of what I am not supposed to eat, I am allergic to already, so I don't miss it. Alas, much of what I would be allowed to eat, I am allergic to as well! I don't miss bread as much as onion, garlic, and mushrooms. I do miss pasta and am hoping to find some FODMAP approved varieties soon. 

One of the advantages to patronizing local restaurants is that the managers/owners can tell me exactly what is in most of their food. They have been wonderful in adapting menu items so that I can enjoy them. Billy's, Goldie's, Gumbo Pot, Rowdy's, and The Coffee House Cafe have kept me from starving thus far. I am also having to cook more, which is not entirely a bad thing for my waistline or my wallet. 

Besides not being in as much pain, there have been some other perks of the low FODMAP diet. My reflux is much better and I have been able to cut my medication in half. I am, slowly, losing some weight, and best of all, I actually have more energy. I am not going to be running any marathons, but I seem to be able to get a little more done these days. 

This lady has a great website for guidance on how to manage this diet:

http://www.katescarlata.com/


Bon appétit!





 




No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...