Saturday, December 15, 2018

Missing Dad

Seven years ago tonight, my Daddy passed away. Bill and I had been sitting with him in the hospital and had just been relieved by my brother-in-law. We went to get a bite to eat, and headed home. Almost as soon as we walked in the door, the phone was ringing. Daddy was gone. 

I truly believe that, on some level, a terminally ill person is able to make some choice as to his or her time of death. All three of us kids had been there when my mama died. I honestly think Daddy waited until my calm and cool brother-in-law was there before he took his final breath. I also think that he waited for my niece to get home from college to say her goodbyes. 

I never realized how much I would miss this man. And how much of him is in me. He was a social creature who had many friends and loved to visit. Daddy loved a good joke. He also had a great time razzing his Ole Miss friends when their football team was beaten by his LSU Tigers. I have his coloring and his hazel eyes. I have his sense of fair play. I try very hard to be honest and upright in all my dealings, just like he was. 

Happy 7th Heavenly Anniversary, Daddy. 

No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...