Monday, March 16, 2020

Getting Real

I got up before daylight this morning to make a quick trip to Corner Market. Being a small, Mississippi owned company, it is seldom crowded and I felt like I would be safe going there for the few things I needed to pick up. I had seen pictures of empty shelves in large places like Wal-Mart and Kroger, but I was not prepared to see empty shelves at my little Corner Market. 

One of the items on my list was ground chuck. I was able to get the one small package that was left. The stocker told me to come back by and there might be a little more. When I went back, one woman was stacking up every single package of the limited amount now available and putting it in her cart. I went to look for the brand of tea I can drink and it too was all gone. I talked to sweet Mr. Doyle Martin from a safe distance, but missed my customary hug from him. There was no Jif Creamy peanut butter, so I headed on down the aisle. A group of older men was sitting close together and drinking coffee around a table. I stayed away from them. I sure hope they are being careful in other places! 

Fortunately, I am not completely out of the items I could not purchase today. And, sadly, I was not surprised at the actions of one woman grabbing every available package of an item, seemingly not caring if anyone else got any or not. I was a little surprised at the men around the table seeing as they were all obviously in the higher risk demographic. 

Compared to times like WWII, when people were asked to put their lives on the line, make many sacrifices, and do things for the common good, I honestly wonder if America could survive another World War. We have grown so selfish. If people who are able can't even do relatively simple things like social distancing or leaving anything for anyone else, could we pull together as a country the way people did during hard times of the past? 

As for me, I am going to do my best to keep my family and friends safe. I am going to check on my elderly friends who do not need to be out under any circumstances and get them what they need if possible. I am going to find not crowded outdoor spaces to get a little walking in. And, if I have it, and you need it, let me know. I'll share. 

Even my toilet paper. 


1 comment:

Judy Townsend said...

I have a jar of creamy Jif I can bring you. Call me

Judy Townsend

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...