Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Manners in the time of Corona

I am one of those people who, even in the best of times, needs personal space. I can't stand having anyone right on me and I avoid crowds for that reason. I also avoid crowds, even in the best of times, because I am immunosuppressed. 

Of course, now, the need for social distancing is making this even more crucial. I go out very sparingly and only for food, medicine, and physical therapy (in a carefully controlled environment). I also try to take food every few days to a 90 year old friend who does not have any family nearby and who does not need to get our for any reason. 

Today, I was trying to help out a local business by getting takeout from one of our awesome Vicksburg restaurants. As I drove up, a car pulled up beside me with 4 men in it who were obviously coming from a workplace. I could tell that they were NOT practicing social distancing. I came in before them (I had already called in my order) and took a seat in the corner as far away from these men as possible. However, one of them was determined to stand way too close to me. It would have been too close even if we were not dealing with COVID-19. I politely asked him if he would mind moving away from me because I was high risk. 

The man became annoyed and walked out of the restaurant. I got a "look" from the person at the counter as she tried to get him to come back in. I did not think I was being unreasonable to ask for proper space. 

I learned my lesson and will not go to any place that does not offer curb service or drive-through for the duration. 

How would you handle this situation? Suggestions welcome! 


No comments:

Bah Humbug?

  I was messaging with a friend today and she said that she had some "Bah Humbug" going on, but she did not know why. That got me ...